From 28 March 2019, you must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg before they can travel through countries that have ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.
This includes these countries in the EU, EEA and Europe:
|Bosnia and Herzegovina
This means that these trailers making international journeys will need to:
- be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
- display their own registration plate (separate from the vehicle towing them)
- be able to present the Trailer Registration Certificate to a foreign authority on request
You do not need to register trailers that are only used in the UK or only used for journeys between the UK and Ireland.
You also do not need to register trailers used in Spain, Cyprus or Malta. You will, however, need to register trailers if you drive them through any country listed above to reach these destinations.
You can voluntarily register non-commercial trailers that weigh over 750kg but there is no legal requirement to do this.
Register your trailer
You can register:
- commercial trailers used internationally with a gross weight over 750kg
- all trailers used internationally with a gross weight over 3,500kg
online with DVLA.
To register you will need to know your trailer:
- chassis number
- permissible maximum mass
- unladen mass
Published: Fri 22 Mar 2019
Updated: Tue 09 Jan 2024
Published by: DVLA